11.29.2007

john the meter butler


SLOW DOWN! he says.
i was hurrying alongside a line of parked cars at 430 in the afternoon.
abidingly, i slowed down. i turned my head, and i looked at the dark short man as he smiled to reveal three lonely teeth illuminating a dark dark mouth. his smile suggested good intentions but his hands grasped bad intentions. so i stopped to see what he had to say.
I DON’T WANT YOU TO TRIP. AND NO WORRIES, I WONT GIVE YOU A TICKET.
okay, i replied. but my car isn’t parked here.
JUST TO SHOW YOU THAT I WON'T GIVE YOU A TICKET, I’LL EVEN WALK YOU TO YOUR CAR.
but it’s not parked here, i’m just in a hurry.
he started walking with me. ‘great!’ i thought to myself. ‘now i have to make idle conversation!’ ‘and i’m already late for where i need to be.’
ARE YOU A STUDENT HERE?, and he pointed up the hill to my school.
yes. –hey! i have a question for you. do you have to fill a ticketing quota each month?
NAH. NAH MAN. NO QUOTA. THIS IS THE BEST JOB I’VE EVER HAD. I’M ABOUT READY TO BUY A NEW CAR, GET MY TEETH FIXED. PAY’S GOOD.
so if you don’t have to fill a quota, do you get incentives for writing a certain number of tickets each month?
NAH, LISTEN. YOU COMING BACK THIS WAY?
so at the end of the month, when you’ve given 1,000 tickets, you’re not rewarded for it?
OH. YEAH. HOW YOU THINK I'M GONNA BUY MY NEW TEETH? PAY’S GOOD. BUT I WON’T GIVE YOU A TICKET.
my car’s not parked here.

No comments: