3.05.2008

synesthesia



Synesthesia:
a condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a sound produces the visualization of a color.

…and, loosely following this definition: when the visualization of a color evokes an emotional response sensation.

I had a dilemma of catastrophic proportions today: whether to use gray or tan or white (resume) paper to apply for post-docs. For, I thought, there must be an emotion evoked, whether realized or not, in response to the color on which my cover letter and CV are written. And of course, I want my prospective employer to think the happiest, most pleasurable thoughts when reading my correspondence.
Please play along: I’m sure you have all seen the sky. The sky when it was its brightest blue. How did you feel? Happy. Energetic. Clean. Now, imagine how you felt when the sky was gray. Were you somber? Subdued?
In extension, how would you feel if you were reading a letter on either A) a gray piece of paper (with cold, blue undertones), or B) a tan piece of paper (with warm, brown overtones)?

I realize that the emotions evoked by color vary according to cultures, personalities, influences, circumstances, time of day, what you had for breakfast, the last song you listened to, your paternal grandmother’s maiden name, etc. (and this is probably why there is no good scientific data on this correlation out there), but I still want some imput: which color is most likely to evoke an ‘I must hire her’ sensation?

(and is not all together too distracting)

3 comments:

Mark said...

Pink...and scented. Floral embossed patterns optional.

Seriously, I vote for tan. Gray paper reminds me of those cheap mimeographed exam questionnaires we had in grade school.

SDL said...

haha. i originally suggested pink to my advisor. he just laughed, but i was serious.

...i was leaning towards tan as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!