3.25.2008

vices and foibles


Should we be able to control our vices autonomously or do we need assistance from time to time?


I ate three cupcakes the other night. THREE. I wouldn’t normally do something so potentially detrimental to my figure, but they were available and I was feeling weak. I didn’t want to eat them, I didn’t even enjoy eating them, and I definitely didn’t feel good after eating them.

I usually overcome my moments of weakness by resting my mind in the bubbles of a bath, by watching TV, or by swimming. But the other night, I ate f-ing cupcakes. Damn it.

Would I have indulged so decadently, and so potentially waistsize-hazardously had I not kept the cupcakes on my kitchen counter? Or had someone been regulating how many I ate? Probably not.

...Because accessibility was a major impetus in my impulsive decision, do I think that I should formulate a way of making sure that cupcakes are inaccessible to me at all times? For example, should I insist that a higher power make cupcake sales illegal?

No. And here's why:
a- Just because I can't control my own impulses, it doesn't mean there should be a law prohibiting others from having their cupcake, and eating it too.
b- Guilt. That woozy feeling will prevent me from doing it again.
c- There are already natural deterrents inherent in wrongful deeds. For instance, I will gain weight from the cupcakes.
d- You fill in this blank.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you alluding to the Spitzer case, and the law against prostitution?

GirlNamedJames said...

I just ate a cupcake because you want to protect my right to have them and to eat them. I don't have it anymore.